BIO2073- Microbiology lab
Summer Quarter 2020
Lab Report: Heat as a method of control
1. What was the objective of this lab exercise?
2. Use the following table to document your data. For each plate that you look at, be sure to indicate the species, and the temperature used. Then, for each time point, evaluate the relative amount of growth in each section using a scale from 0-4 where
0 = No growth 4= heaviest growth
3. Why was it important to plate out a sample at 0 seconds, prior to exposing the culture to heat?
4. In general, was 63°C or 72°C more effective at killing the microbes? Does this align with the results you expected? Why or why not?
4. Both “young” (less than 24 hours) and “old” (several weeks) cultures of B. subtilis were used in this experiment. Why do you think this was done? Hint: what do you know about the Bacillus genus and their survival mechanisms? Why use Bacillus and not old/young E.coli for example?
6. The thermal death time and the term death point are two different ways to describe a microbe’s sensitivity to heat. Which of these two measurements were we evaluating in this experiment? Explain your answer.
7. Give an example of a non-laboratory use of each of the following methods to control microbial growth:
Bonus! The species Geobacillus stearothermophilus is often used as an indicator species to test the effectiveness of autoclaving. Why do you think this species is used instead of E. coli or B. subtilis?
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more